Are you worried about your water being too fluoridated? Are the high levels of fluoride in your drinking water causing a bother in your life? Well, worry no more! You have come to the right place, and this article will be your guide and answer to all the fluoride-related problems.
Fluoride is the most troublesome contaminant, causing diseases including bone and teeth fluorosis, thyroid problems, and even cardiac abnormalities. If this article has found your way, it means that you are amongst the 73% of the US population which is distressed about the fluoride problem in their drinking water.
Can water filters remove fluoride? It is the most common question asked, and fortunately, thanks to the amazing innovative technology known as the REVERSE OSMOSIS (RO) filter systems. These filter systems have changed the game of modernizing the water filtration process.
So if you have made up your mind about installing a fluoride filter in your house already, I recommend you finish reading this article that will describe that your water filter removes arsenic, fluoride, chloride, and other associated elements.
Can any water filter remove fluoride from water?
There are many ways to filter water; each method is efficient for different reasons. It is essential to understand the mechanisms, disadvantages, and advantages of these fluoride water filters and the chemicals they filter out.
For example, water filters removing fluoride are known as fluoride filters. Such as the Berkey water filter that removes arsenic and fluoride up to great levels. The water quality association has categorized four ways to remove fluoride and treat Of High Level Of Flouride In Drinking Water at Home.
Reverse Osmosis water filters
- One of the best, effective, and more tested technologies after distillation is reverse osmosis that removes fluoride and all the harmful impurities from the drinking water.
- Mostly RO water filter system has easy installation and is reliable for home use.
- Reverse osmosis works by pressurizing the water through a RO membrane which filters the substances to pass.
- The pure, filtered, and healthier water will be this result. Like distillation, reverse osmosis also restricts mineral content from passing, which results in acidic water. The RO water filter systems are also available with the remineralization advances feature, which adds minerals to the water to give an alkaline taste. For example, Frizzlife MK99 reverse osmosis water filter.
- Active alumina works on the principle of aluminum hydroxide beds by dehydroxylation and forming an excellent porous channel for the water to pass through.
- This bed of porous channels has a very high surface area and electrostatic attraction towards it.
- It is effective against arsenic, fluoride, and chromium
- It also reduces the TDS level from drinking water.
- This treatment of filtration is pH dependant.
- For fluoride removal, a pH of 5-6 is ideal.
- The oldest and less expensive method of removing contaminants such as arsenic and fluoride is distillation.
- Distillation is the natural process of separating water by evaporation and condensation, and all the residues leaving behind as an impurity.
- As fluoridated contaminated water is boiled, steam in water vapors evaporates and condenses onto a separate container.
- Pure and safe distilled water is obtained, and fluoride is removed as a residue. Like reverse osmosis, distillation is also very effective in removing fluoride and other contaminants. Still, distilled water means dead water, even free from mineral content, reducing the pH to an acidic level.
- Remineralization is recommended to balance the pH of water that will improve the quality and taste of drinking water. The countertop distillers will be more convenient for home use.
Bone Charcoal Carbon Filter
This water filter removes fluoride up to 90%, and this is the most used method for common water supply. Usually, distillation and reverse osmosis remove fluoride but waste a huge amount of water, but it is a more efficient process that doesn’t destroy.
What is fluoride?
Before knowing more about fluoride filters, we must first attain knowledge about fluoride and its hazardous effects on human health,
Fluoride is found naturally in the soil. It is also synthetically made for drinking water, mouthwashes, and toothpaste. Fluoride is widely added to the water supply to prevent tooth decay, especially in children. Studies have shown that fluoride water prevents tooth decay, and it is much cheaper than dental services. Fluoride water prevents cavities and tooth plaque, and gum diseases.
Using fluoride water has also been beneficial for bone diseases like osteoporosis. It helps in new bone formation and prevents bones from being broken down.
Is Fluoride Bad For You?
Fluoridated water is being consumed in the UK for the past 40 years. Around six million people get fluorinated water either artificially added or naturally occurring. Once fluoride is added to the water, it isn’t easy to control its consumption and dose. Despite age, gender, health, and weight, it is available for everyone. There are dozens of organizations that are currently planning to remove fluoride due to its bad effects from drinking water, asserting that;
- Fluoride is considered to be toxic at high levels.
- Fluoride accumulation can make bones weak and brittle.
- Fluoride water is also a potential threat to the environment as 99% of the water used is flushed down the drain.
- A study in England shows that fluoride water consumption at high levels may increase the risk of hypothyroidism.
- Padjadjaran Journal of Dentistry in 2008 published that skeletal fluorosis is a metabolic bone disease caused by high exposure to fluoride either by ingestion or inhalation. The symptoms of skeletal fluorosis are joint pain in both upper and lower limbs, back pain, and knock knees.
- Fluoride water helps tooth decay and overall dental health, but some critics say that fluoride daily has many side effects and can be dangerous to health.
- As more research is surfacing about the adverse effects of using excessive amounts of fluoride, there is rising concern among scientists and health practitioners.
Effects of High level of Fluoride in Water
When fluoride is used in excessive amounts, it can cause damage. A few potential downsides of fluoride are mentioned below.
- FLUOROSIS: There are two types of fluorosis; one is dental fluorosis, and the other is skeletal. Fluorosis occurs when constant exposure to high amounts of fluoride in teeth or bones. Avoid this type of disease by using a fluoride filter.
- BONE CANCER: Osteosarcoma is a rare type of cancer that mainly affects the large bones in the body and is more common in males.
- DENTAL FLUOROSIS: This is a disease characterized by the discoloration of teeth due to the high exposure of fluoride toddlers.
THYROID ISSUE: Water fluoridation interrupts the functioning of the thyroid-stimulating hormone, which results in thyroid cell death, and causes hyperthyroidism when linked with iodine efficiency. The body receptors bind with fluorine at the place of iodine, causing toxicity in the tissue.
- IMPAIRED BRAIN DEVELOPMENT: Children exposed to high fluoride levels are more likely to develop low IQ and cognitive difficulties.
- KIDNEY DISEASE: Many research also shows that fluoride has caused kidney disease in many individuals.
- NEUROTOXIC: Flouride Alert has known fluoride as a neurotoxin, which can damage your e brain. It affects intelligence. Hundreds of studies have linked prolonged fluoride, exposure to brain learning, and IQ level.
- SKELETAL FLUOROSIS: A high exposure of fluoride deposits in the bones, which cause skeletal fluorosis. Joint pain and stiffness are the signs of skeletal fluorosis in the early stage and lead to muscle impairment and mineralization of tendons.
- If you are worried that your water might contain high levels of fluoride, you might want to switch to other alternatives such as; Using whole house water filters, using fluoride-free toothpaste, and using Flouride water filters that remove 100% fluoride from your water
The natural level of fluoride depends upon the geographical location of the water source. The water bed from which the water is supplied to the homes determines the level of fluoride in it. It is up to the authorities to check fluoride levels before providing it to the houses.
Best Water Filters For Removing Flouride
Water filters removing fluoride come in many varieties. Here we have compiled some of the most efficient fluoride water filters that can be used in our homes and are cost-effective. Here are some of the following;
Water Distillers For Removing Fluoride
- Water distillation systems are exceptional when it comes to removing fluoride.
- Lab testing report shows that distilled water has a negligible amount of fluoride. Water filters that remove fluoride are an option, but water distillers are the best for long-term removal.
- A water distiller removes all the impurities from water through the boiling and cooling process.
- The boiling vessel is kept, and the water comes to a boil. This action kills any bacteria present. The steam produced is pure water, and it is condensed in condensing tubes present at the top of the distiller.
Reverse Osmosis Water Filters Remove Fluoride:
The water filters with reverse osmosis remove fluoride and 99% of other dissolved solids in water. They also effectively remove 92 to 95% of fluoride from drinking water due to its semi-permeable membrane technology for all contaminants present at molecular levels. Countertop Reverse osmosis filters, under sink water filters, whole house water filters are the categories that use RO technology to remove fluoride, chlorinated and arsenic water.
Reverse osmosis technology has been introduced so far in the U.S that even tankless RO water filters are available, which are so simple to install and easy to carry. Renters or homeowners can have this best technology by using RO filters for apartments use.
Other Factors To Keep In Mind While Buying A Fluoride Water Filter:
REMOVAL OF CONTAMINANTS
If you are going to buy a water filter, or you have, you should first examine your filter. Like, the water filter removes fluoride and other contaminants or not from that you have a concern. For example, your area contains fluoridated, chlorinated, or arsenic water, then you must know that your water filter has a quality to remove all the contaminants, then you can buy.
When investing in a water filter, it is important to look at the long-term cost, including replacing filters and price. So buying a filter with a low price may be a disadvantage in the long term because you have to keep on replacing the filters after a few months, so it’s better to make a hefty investment once.
CAPACITY AND FLOW RATE
Consider the filters that can produce a large amount of water to fulfill cooking, washing, and bathing. Select a water filter whose quantity of water should be enough for the household.
Flow rate is also a key point when buying a filter because a slow flow rate can distress a person. So. that’s why the flow rate should be good enough.
If you are searching for a good water filter, your search will suggest various results. Will you choose any of them? No, you have to take a good guide, go for the beneficial product that will not waste water a lot, because it can affect your electricity bill.
It is essential to buy the best filters for chlorine and fluorine-like contaminants, VOCs, herbicides, pesticides, and other impurities. The water filters that remove fluoride and other pollutants should be NSF certified.
INVESTMENT AND BUDGET
Reverse osmosis systems are costly filter systems but worth it when you consider investing in the long term. The same is the case with water distillers. They are expensive but worth it when investing in great effective water filters.
Faucet water filters or pitchers are cheap and economical to buy, but they tend to get faulty after a concise period and can cause you to spend money frequently.
FAQ’S – Most Peoples Also Asking For Solution?
Can water filters remove fluoride? Here are some of the answers to your frequently asked questions about fluoride filters and their uses.
Does Gravity water filter remove fluoride?
Does the water filter pitcher remove fluoride?
Does the whole house water filter remove fluoride?
Does the Berkey water filter remove fluoride?
Are water filters that remove fluoride expensive?
All the water filters removing fluoride are not expensive. Reverse osmosis filters have been widely used in homes today. These filters are competent in removing many contaminants and impurities from water.
RO systems are cost-effective and easily maintained filter systems that a small family can easily accommodate with limited water consumption. RO systems typically cost less than $300.
The RO whole house water filters are installed under the kitchen sink or garage. All in all, the cost depends upon the choice of water filters that remove fluoride you can afford and easily install at your house.
There is not much to be said when it comes to water filters removing fluoride because it all depends upon which filter suits you best and can get the job done; plus is also cost-effective.
Do refrigerator water filters remove fluoride?
No, refrigerator water filters are the water filters that do not remove fluoride, arsenic, and lead effectively. They are most effective for chlorine and chloramines. If you’re searching for the best water filters that remove fluoride, our best recommendation would be a reverse osmosis water filter to remove fluoride up to 99% from the drinking water.
Does boiling water remove fluoride?
No, boiling will not be the solution to remove fluoride. In boiling, water will evaporate into the steam, and the water left behind will have more fluoride concentration than before boiling. So, the boiling method is not suitable to remove fluoride.