Shower glass doors look beautiful in homes, but we should know how to get rid of water spots on shower glass doors? You know it is like a battle against hard water stains, scum, and marks with glass shower doors.
Soap scum and hard water stains are two common stains left behind on the shower glass doors.
What is hard water stains and how to get rid off
Hard water stains form when water interacts with various minerals, such as chalk, lime, magnesium, and calcium it converts into hard water. As a result, it is difficult to clean hard water, which leaves a thick sticky residue on the surfaces of glass doors. These sticky particles reduce the clarity of glass and can make glass shower doors look disgusting and unattractive.
Soap scum is formed when hard water combines with paraffin wax used in soap. Soap cleans the dirt, but it leaves a residue deposited on the surface of the bathroom. While taking a shower, this wax forms a layer of scum.
The Best Method To Get Rid Of Hard Water Stains On Glass Shower Doors
Glass shower doors are the one that requires a little extra effort for maintenance and cleaning to keep them stay in excellent and perfect condition.
Ways for cleaning glass shower doors at home
Here are some ways to clean glass shower doors fighting against hard water stains. The best way to get rid of these marks and hard water stains in your washroom is to regularly clean and maintain them with expensive deep cleansers & with our helpful tips and tricks. We will solve your issue by guiding the ways to remove hard water spots on glass showers.
Distilled white vinegar
Do you think about how to get rid of spots from the shower?
One essential solution for this problem is to clean it with distilled white vinegar, a multipurpose cleanser. It is cheap and readily available at any time, at any place.
Distilled white vinegar is the best cleaner for hard water stains because it doesn’t contain coloring agents. It offers all-natural efforts to clean your glass door and other products. Vinger contains acetic acid; dig deep into the streak and spots to prevent hard water stains.
Even if you don’t know how to get rid of hard water stains from glass shower doors with vinegar, the method is straightforward and well explained.
- Take an equal quantity of warm distilled white vinegar and liquid dishwashing detergent in a spray bottle.
- Apply the mixture on the surface of the area and clean with a soft cloth or sponge.
- For precautionary measures, apply it carefully, preventing from scratch.
Tea-tree oil and vinegar
Tea tree oil is an essential oil with many antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, which are also safe and good for the skin and the home. The vinegar would help to remove scum from the surface of the glass door.
- You can also use Undiluted vinegar with a few drops of tea tree oil.
Vinegar or ammonia are contraindicated to clean a shower simultaneously as bleach because they cause fumes.
- Wear a mask and open the door when you treat ammonia with a glass door. Please spread the windows or ventilators, wear rubber gloves when using ammonia to protect your hands because it is a high bleaching agent that can react with your skin.
- Please don’t use bleach with ammonia because it can cause toxic fumes.
For cleaning heavy scum and hard water, stains ammonia is a good bleaching and cleaning agent.
- Take one part of ammonia with three-part of water and make a mixture in a spray bottle.
- Spray the scum-covered glass shower door and scrub the surface gently with a brush or sponge. Wipe off thoroughly and dry the surface completely with a fresh cloth.
- Add two quarts of distilled water with two tbs of ammonia powder, When there is no scum.
- Leave the mixture for 5-8 minutes.
- Rinse and dry microfiber cloth and get a streak-free shine on the shower glass.
Baking soda is effective in removing dirt, stains, and grease from the surface.
It works as a mild alkali and deodorizes the acid or primary substance to a neutral one.
- Add water to the baking soda to create a thick paste.
- Take half a cup of baking soda amount depending upon the size of the shower door.
- Rub this thick paste onto the shower surface with a soft cloth.
- Rinse it off with vinegar applying on the cloth, Don’t rinse with vinegar if you have stone around your glass door.
- Dry the area with a fresh cloth.
- We can also make a paste of baking soda and vinegar.
- After scrubbing this onto your shower glass, wait for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with distilled water.
Sodium borate decahydrate or borax works as a water softening agent in water as it reacts with complex water-causing ions and prevents hard water stains.
- Make a thick paste of borax with water. Take a damp sponge and apply it to the surface to clean hard water stains and scum.
- Scrub it with a sponge and wash it with distilled water.
- Dry and clean the glass shower.
Lemon juice can be used as an alternative to vinegar; it contains citric acid, a good bleaching agent. It cleanses the spots and lights them, and gets white back to back.
- Take 2 -3 lemons.
- Mix the juice of these lemons with a cup of distilled water.
- Fill this solution into the spray bottle or spray shower.
- Spray the bottle onto the surface of the challenging water stain area and scum and wait for 5-10 minutes.
- Now wipe off the surface with a microfiber cloth.
- Dry and Clean the area.
- Another cleaning method is to use lemon with baking powder.
- Take a slice of lemon and dip it into the baking soda. Gently scrub the lemon along with baking soda on the surface.
- Wash it with distilled water and dry the area.
- Apply 2-3 drops of lemon oil on the shower glass door for more shine and clean shower glass.
It will induce a pleasing fragrance.
Magic eraser sponges
A Magic Eraser sponge is used for cleaning purposes that can remove hard water stains from surfaces.
- Wet your Magic Eraser sponge Foaming Bath.
- Use it immediately after wetting.
- The thick micro-scrubbers are activated by wetting them, so they deeply penetrate and remove hard water stains from glass and the thick layer of soap scum. It makes cleaning shower glass more accessible than ever.
Best glass shower door cleaner for hard water
Vinegar, lemon, baking soda, essential oils could be the best cleaners for removing hard water stains and spots.
Here is a list of some commercial products experimented with to get streak-free, spot-free glass shower doors.
- Bio-clean hard water stain remover
- Rain-X Shower Door Cleaner
- Windex Glass Cleaner
- CLR calcium, lime, and rust remover
- Rejuvenate Soap Scum Remover
- Hard Off+ Hard Water Stain Remover
- Brite & Clean Ultimate Hard Water Stain Remover
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the difference between hard water and soft water?
Hard water can be defined as water containing dissolved minerals like calcium, chalk, lime, and magnesium. The hard water left a stain on the shower glass door, bathroom, dishes, etc., as the water evaporates, but minerals as a residue left behind on the surface marked as a stain or spot. It does not produce lather with water.
Soft water is treated with clean water free from dissolved metals like magnesium, iron, calcium. It produces lather with water.
How are doors spotted with soap scum or hard water stains?
If you have ever had a new glass shower door fitted in your area, its shine and beauty will not remain the same. The problem of hard water stains on shower doors is due to soap scum, which is a mixture of complex water mineral contents and oils.
Soaps and shampoos contain oils or fatty acids, and when these fats or oils are reacted with calcium and magnesium of hard water on shower doors, they dry out to give a crusty layer of film, which is seen on the surface.
How do hotels keep glass shower doors clean?
Hospital’s shower doors are pretty sparkly clean, although they are used regularly. They clean bathrooms every single day. They plan for a weekly cleaning that includes wiping down counters, sink, faucets, the tubs, and scrubbing the mirror and glass door.
1. Try using any distilled vinegar and water for cleaning shower doors in your bathroom.
2. Combine dish soap, and white vinegar can prevent water spots.
3. Add vinegar and baking soda to prevent hard watermarks.
4. Lemon and water is another naturally acidic option for cleaning a shower.
Hard water spots look too awkward if they are not cleaned properly. Do people find the best solution to get rid of hard water stains on glass shower doors? We have guided them on the best ways to keep your shower doors maintained, spotless, and clean The maintenance of everything is an integral part. Everything seems shiny and sparkly if we use them regularly.